Hobione's Weblog

Living & Breathing in Web 2.0 Era

ICEFaces 1.8.1 migration

I have recently needed for upgrade to 1.8 from 1.7.2. The main reason I needed 1.8 is because my Auto Complete pop up list would not stay. It showed up for split of second and went away. It did not give me any chance to pick one from list. It worked perfectly on Firefox but not on IE 6 or 7. Here are some steps I had to take to make it work with my existing source.

Step 1:
First, I changed the pom.xml file to 1.8.1, it should be a piece of cake but apparently it did not do a thing.

<dependency>
 <groupId>org.icefaces</groupId>
 <artifactId>icefaces</artifactId>
 <version>1.8.1</version>
 </dependency>
 <dependency>
 <groupId>org.icefaces</groupId>
 <artifactId>icefaces-comps</artifactId>
 <version>1.8.1</version>
 </dependency>
 <dependency>
 <groupId>org.icefaces</groupId>
 <artifactId>icefaces-facelets</artifactId>
 <version>1.8.1</version>
 </dependency>

Steps I had taken to make it work:

Stopped and started the Glassfish server.  Closed and restarted MyEclipse 7.1 with -clean command but still would not work.  Here are some sample errors I was getting:

java.lang.
<div id=":b0">IllegalArgumentException: Illegal null argument to ObjectInputStreamWithLoader

java.lang.RuntimeException: Cant copy Serializable object: Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal null argument to ObjectInputStreamWithLoader

[#|2009-07-28T19:59:38.107-0500|INFO|sun-appserver9.1|javax.enterprise.system.stream.out|_ThreadID=11;_ThreadName=pool-1-thread-2;|19:59:38,107  INFO D2DViewHandler:84 -
ICEsoft Technologies, Inc.
ICEfaces 1.7.2
 Build number: 17
Revision: 17749</div>
<div>

As you may noticed that, even though I changed the pom to ICEfaces 1.8.1 but the server console showed 1.7.2.  I should thought about the server’s cache issue but instead I did these following long steps.

I installed MyEclipse 7.5 which I meant to install it anyway and also 1.8 comes with MyEclipse 7.5.  So after install the MyEclipse 7.5, I was still getting errors.  Then, I created a brand new project using MyEclipse 7.5 and copied src, web and pom.xml to the new project.

Eeeeh, still would not work.  Finally I logged in to the admin console for Glassfish and undeployed all old 1.7.2 related project, stopped the server, restarted the server but wait, still negative.  I was getting this weird error.

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space</div>
<div>
I Googled it and found out that “It’s easy to reproduce this problem by reloading the context over and over again until you get an OutOfMemoryError (10 times was enough for a simple app)”.  So, I had to take a break to deploy the app and at last, it worked. Thank you my LORD.

ICEfaces rock! MyEclipse rocks!! my application rocks!!!

autoComplete
Advertisements

July 29, 2009 - Posted by | GlassFish, ICEfaces, MyEclipse IDE

1 Comment »

  1. That was remarkable post. I like to read articles that are edifying for they enriched my mind with different knowledge that makes me a better person. These articles especially about recent events, technologies, news, tips and technical skills are the topics that I adore. Keep it up and more power to your website. I look forward for your next article.Thanks Jennifer Liferay Portal Development

    Comment by Liferay Portal Development | August 17, 2010 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: